|November 2014 - Tips, eNews & More!
It's November! How did that happen? Every year seems to fly by and as soon as November begins, we start hearing holiday music on the radio. The days get shorter and
even though we're still (hopefully) at least a month away from snow, people begin to prepare for winter hibernation.
You should enjoy the month as best you can, and there are still plenty of good weather days to enjoy before the chill really starts. Here are just a few activities
going on around town to keep you busy:
Visit the Direct Energy Centre for an indoor installment of Woofstock, Toronto's celebration of all things dog.
The Santa Claus Parade
Santa Claus returns to the streets of Toronto, bringing a bit of early Christmas cheer with him.
- The Gourmet Food and Wine Expo
Visit the Metro Toronto Convention Centre to taste, buy and learn about wine, cheese and other gourmet foods.
- Harbourfront Centre's Day of the Dead Festival
"The Day of the Dead Festival celebrates the traditional Mexican acts of witnessing tradition, history, memory and the spiritual with music and dance, community
ofrendas, films and above all the spirit of the Mexican peoples.
If You Don't Use It, You'll Lose It!
Is it time for a cleaning or to have your dental work completed?
Many dental plans are based on the calendar year, so your benefits may not roll over into the new year. It's a good idea to find time for a cleaning or checkup to ensure you get the most out of your plan.
If we haven't seen your smile in a while, click here to schedule an
Dr. Modi and the Parkway Dentistry team
|Are You Long In The Tooth?
As we age there is no reason why your smile has to be 'long in the tooth'! It is not the case that as we age our gums naturally recedes. If you notice that your crowns are getting longer it is important to have your dentist examine your teeth.
What Causes Gums to Recede?
Some reasons include:
Click here to read more!
- Overaggressive brushing - your enamel at the gum line can be worn away by scrubbing the sides of the teeth.
- Lack of proper oral hygiene - without regular brushing and flossing bacteria builds up in between the teeth.
- Using chewing tobacco adversely affects the mucus membrane lining in your mouth and can cause your gums to recede.
- A poorly placed tongue or lip piercing can cause your gums to recede.
|Apple Berry Crisp
We've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yet many of us skip this meal or try to replace it with a prepackaged breakfast or power bar. While these bars offer a high level of convenience they also offer a high level of sugar and calories.
This month's recipe is full of fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and is low in sugar. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, dessert or a midday snack. It will also stay for a few days if covered and refrigerated allowing you to make it on the weekend and enjoy it for the first few days of the work week.
Apple Berry Crisp
- 6-8 McIntosh or Golden Delicious Apples
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamom
- 1/2 cup apple juice mixed with 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (this acts like corn starch)
Click here for the